I really liked this recent email newsletter analysing what it had got right in its first 99 issues. Here are the main bits of advice, which I’d bet we can all learn from when it comes to our own email marketing:
- Create something that’s easy on the eye.
- Create something that your readers hope will exist.
- Ditch the annoying calls to get subscribers.
- Create something you enjoy writing.
- Provide a brilliant first impression with whatever you send when people sign up.
- Suggest readers pass on the newsletter.
- Share the ‘value’ of the newsletter.
- Look at open rates, but don’t measure the success of the newsletter itself by click-through rates (that’s down to the offer).
- Ensure you’re clear about what you don’t write about.