Here’s a well-illustrated set of recommendations for web page and email content creation, which puts clarity and effectiveness to the fore. Don’t be put off by the title of 9 Common Copy Mistakes (and how to quickly fix them) on the Copywriting Course blog; it could equally be titled ‘9 ways to communicate effectively (and what to avoid)’.
The mistakes which the article lists are a little random, but I like the illustrations and recommendations. It suggests avoiding:
- Putting multiple calls-to-action on a web page
- Using too many buzzwords and confusing the message
- Making pages too busy, with bad layouts
- Trying to copy content from other sites
- Using subheadings that don’t guide the reader through an article
- Writing how-to content without giving clear, practical actions
- Writing awkward, cold emails with bad introductions
- Designing emails with multiple calls-to-action
- Overthinking email style and format
See what you think.